Welcome to the Thorntree Travel Forum
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join for free

landing in Dakar airport at 01:00 AM

728*90

TonyTom

Dec 12, 2022
Hey!
My plane should land in Dakar airport at 01:00 AM.
I am going to Saint-Louis
I would rather avoid going in and out of Dakar city
I guess it will be very improbable to get direct transport from the airport to Saint-Louis in the middle of the night
What should I do?
Wait until morning? Is it ok to just wait in the airport for some many hours?
Would it possible to go to Thiès? Maybe a (paid) hotel transfer? Or possibly a taxi or similar?
Any suggestions and hints are very welcome, please
I am 74 years old and will be travelling only with a 5 Kg backpack. I speak reasonable French.
Thank you very much

Antonio

Sep 22, 2022
Waiting in Dakar airport until morning could be a viable option, as many airports have facilities for travelers to wait, such as seating areas, restaurants, and shops. Some airports may also have a lounge where you can pay for access to additional amenities, such as Wi-Fi, food and drinks, and a comfortable place to rest.

Another option could be to go to Thiès, which is about 60 km east of Dakar. It might be possible to arrange a paid hotel transfer or take a taxi to Thiès. However, travelling by taxi in the middle of the night can come with added risks, such as the possibility of being overcharged or becoming a target of crime. If you do decide to take a taxi, you should arrange it through a reputable source, such as your hotel or a trusted taxi company, and to take caution when traveling in the taxi.

Regardless of your choice, it is a good idea to inform a friend or family member of your plans and to carry a charged mobile phone with you in case you need to contact someone in an emergency.

Upvote 0

TonyTom

Dec 12, 2022
Hey Armchairtraveler
Thank you for that
My trip was postponed to 2 of March, I took the opportunity to get myself a longer stay and booked on line a couple of nights in a hotel in Poponguine, about half an hour's drive from the airport and they are picking me up at 02:00 AM !! for 15,000 CFA
Cheers
Antonio

Reactions: armchairtraveler
Upvote 0