Delicious food in Hanoi but little suggested by tourists

728*90

vivianhales

Aug 30, 2023
I visited Hanoi early last week after having visited the previous places Ninh Binh and Sapa. Hanoi is very bustling and has an extremely rich culinary scene. I have heard a lot about famous Hanoi dishes like pho and bun cha. I am a person who loves to cook and love to learn about regional foods and cultures. Therefore, on this visit to Hanoi, I really want to try traditional dishes that are not introduced much in the media and social networking sites.

1. Bun Oc - Escargot vermicelli soup

Cachnaubunoccayngonngotlamienghapdanquencaloive-1200x676.jpeg

My first impression of this dish is probably feeling weird and a bit scary because I have never eaten snails. I thought this would be extremely difficult to eat but I was wrong. The broth of this dish is quite rich and fragrant with tomatoes, eye-catching colors, and delicious crispy snails. I remember the restaurant is located in the old quarter of Hanoi, I will guide you on Google map to find easily Bun Oc Giang

2. Banh Tom Tay Ho - Vietnamese shrimp cake

Banh-tom-ho-tay-2.jpeg

I heard an interesting rumor about this shrimp cake that was because in the past there were many shrimp in West Lake, and shrimp here was delicious, so shrimp cake was born. Although it's just a funny story, I recommend this dish to everyone. Shrimp cakes are deep fried in oil and served with salad vegetables and sweet and sour fish sauce. Those who are afraid of eating greasy food should not be too worried because fried shrimp cakes are quite drained of oil with a golden outer shell.

3. Xoi xeo - Vietnamese sticky rice with mung bean

xoi-xeo-2.jpeg
I was introduced by the Ha Noi food tour & city tour to a popular Hanoi dish, which is sticky rice. According to my observation, this dish is made from grated green beans then wrapped in banana leaves and served with fried onions. For me, this dish is delicious and flexible but a bit boring. But the sticky rice dish has a bold traditional color and in Hanoi, there are many old sticky rice shops up to 50-60 years old, but sorry I don't remember the name very well.

Attachments

• tải xuống (20).jpeg
    tải xuống (20).jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
  • tải xuống (21).jpeg
    tải xuống (21).jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • xoi-xeo-2.jpeg
    xoi-xeo-2.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cach-nau-xoi-xeo-ngo-thom-ngon-deo-dep-mat-cho-bua-sang-202211171330393361.jpeg
    cach-nau-xoi-xeo-ngo-thom-ngon-deo-dep-mat-cho-bua-sang-202211171330393361.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: arcadion

Larsay

Dec 7, 2023
Th best remains the pho, the traditional Hanoi soup which Locals eat mostly for breakfast. If in Hanoi, go to famous PHO 10 on Ly Quoc Su St, just after the St Joseph cathedral, it proposes 35 different kinds of pho (pronounced "feu")