Welcome to the Thorntree Travel Forum
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join for free

Introduction to Jordan forum

728*90

Khamlia

Jun 16, 2023
To start here on this forum I wish to give a brief insight into the country.
It is not that big but there is a lot to see, many famous but also hidden places that are worth seeing.

I would recommend to everyone to get a guidebook, before traveling there and starting to plan the itinerary. Try to have at least one week, but much better is 2 weeks as you will have the opportunity to see more than just Jerash, Petra, Wadi Rum and the Dead Sea.
Browse through the guidebook carefully, there are also suggestions of what you can see during a week, 2 weeks, etc.
Try anyway to see less but more properly than opposite if you would only rush.

Likewise, I would recommend choosing smaller hotels and not just 4* or 5* ones. You get a better experience in more simple hotels, better contact with the staff, etc. Rooms are usually good, although maybe you're not offering the slippers there, but that's pretty unimportant, isn't it?
While in Wadi Rum you would rather stay at some smaller but traditional Bedouin camp where you get much better experience and service inxl. jeep tours and other variable activities. Staff there are very helpful and big knowledge about the desert, the life there etc.

There is also a group of Bedouin experts started a ECO and Nature project and camps to preserve Wadi Rum in the most original way so far. That it would remain clean and beautiful in the future.

The best way to travel is to rent a car, the roads are good, well signed so if you just follow the rules, it will be OK.
If possible, avoid going on the Desert highway, it's a very busy road with many trucks and bumps plus the scenery is boring all around, only when you approach Ma'an does it start to get a bit more interesting.
The best is to take the King's Highway which goes through incredibly beautiful scenery and around famous places, although sometimes you have to take a short detour if you want to go somewhere special.
The Jordan Valley Highway is also wonderful and leads from Aqaba all the way along then Dead Sea and up to the northern part of Jordan.

If you don't have a driver's license you can use Jett bus https://www.jett.com.jo/en/ which connects many places. But sometimes there is still no other option but to take a taxi or something like that, for example, from the Dead Sea to Petra, so far there is no bus.
From Petra to Wadi Rum or vice versa, you can take a so-called Rum minibus and your hotel can reserve a seat for you there, it takes about 2 hours between.
To Aqaba you can take a taxi.

But you can also find all this in the guidebook from Lonely Planet or on the internet on various forums.

I hope this is of some use and ask more what you need to know.

Have a nice holiday in Jordan and enjoy, it is a beautiful and historically rich country wit very nice and helpful people.

Last edited:
Reactions: armchairtraveler