Welcome to the Thorntree Travel Forum
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join for free

New Member Hello

728*90

ShaggyPedro

Jun 17, 2023
hello everybody,

I came across this place quite by chance, ever since the old Thorntree forum stopped I have been looking for some travel sources beyond the usual old hotel reviews you get on tripadvisor.

What do we know about this place?. It looks a bit like the old Forum but without so much content Has it been going long does it have many members? I haven't found much background information and not many posts ( only 1 on Canada. none for UK ! )

It seems to me that places like this need a critical mass of contributors to make any meaningful discussions.

There were loads of different sub-forums on the old site that were interesting ( Food, Languages, Culture, Gap year, Older travellers, Experimental Travel etc )

What forums would people like to see on here ?

I would like something on Sustainable travel, for example ( cycling, train travel etc. ) Volunteer working maybe.

What do people think ?

I used to post on the old site tho I can't remember if it was as Pedro or Shaggy so I thought Shaggy Pedro was some sort of compromise !

Sep 22, 2022
Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining.

I was disappointed when I found out the old forum was shutting down. I thought it was an excellent resource for travellers where guidebooks could not fulfil. Many people say forums are "dead" because of social media. I use social media, but on the other hand, you sometimes don't want "big data" to know everything about you.

Starting a new forum is a bit of a "chicken or the egg" situation. People don't want to join a forum that is not active and forums will only be successful when they have many people contributing.

Any number of sub-forums can be added, so your ideas are well appreciated.

Reactions: Skibadly

ShaggyPedro

Jun 17, 2023
Hello there

armchairtraveler

You may have a point about the demise the internet forum but I don't think they've gone the way of the early century 'internet cafe' just yet.! There is a certain amount of genuine and honest advice that people can offer from their own experiences on a forum such as this that doesn't seem to come through in the world of social media. For me a tip from a traveller about a good place to eat wins hands down over a photo of an 'influencers ' dinner any time.

So I am going to optimistically hold out on here hoping that we reach that 'critical mass' of people

But I will wait for more traffic on the main forums before I start any sub-forums on obscure linguistic idioms and mid-century architecture !

Pedro

arcadion

Aug 11, 2023
Hi, ThornTree was my best source for all my travels around SE Asia - Indonesia, Philiphines, Vietnam, India, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand. Im realy sad, that it is down. But I can return the community what I got from previous generation.

ShaggyPedro

Jun 17, 2023
Hi, ThornTree was my best source for all my travels around SE Asia - Indonesia, Philiphines, Vietnam, India, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand. Im realy sad, that it is down. But I can return the community what I got from previous generation.
Hello

arcadion

and welcome to the forums. hope you find everything you're looking for

Pedro

TatiWash

Sep 7, 2023
Hi everyone! My name is Tatiana and if you´re planning to visit La Paz, Bolivia, you can contact me for laundry services. My service is guaranteed and on time. I pick up and deliver at your hotel. I charge 8 bs per kilo. My whatsapp number is 59178863342. Mister Limpio Laundry Services