Cartagena and Santa Marta for ten days with a small child, exploring!

728*90

DrK

Aug 27, 2023
Hi! I am looking into traveling to Cartagena and then Santa Marta with my dad and my four-year-old son. We would be spending five nights in each location. Is that too long to spend in SM? We are just looking for a low-key relaxing trip. Could go hiking, exploring, swimming, museums, etc. We have traveled extensively and almost always off the beaten path, so we can handle whatever. We've just never been to Columbia.

Additionally, I am planning on renting a car to drive from Cartagena to SM. What do you think of that? We could also keep the car for longer while in SM to do day trips, if that makes sense. I have driven in many many other countries so the driving is fine, as long as it's safe to do.

Thanks so much for helping!

wanderlust

Sep 22, 2022
Rather than in SM you could stay around Tayrona and Minca. We flew into SM, rented a car, than stayed in Senda Koguiwa, which is beautiful and very child friendly, moved to Magdalena beach house and to Minca after that. Than we drove to Cartagena where we returned the car and used taxis. Cartagena is nice but very busy. Aviario is great for kids.

Mendihuaca or Tayrona are good areas for natural activities, like hiking or kayak in the calm Mendihuaca river. Santa Marta is nice but the surroundings are just spectacular.

Check the traffic for driving dates, Sundays or weekends can be busier from Barranquilla to our beautiful beaches.