First time Family trip in Argentina

728*90

Newdawn2001

Jan 5, 2023
Our Australian family of six inc my mother in her mid 80's and our three teenage sons are looking to spend approximately 6 weeks in Argentina based in Corduba. Although we are experienced budget travellers, none of us have ever been to South America.

Prior to this family trip my husband and I hope to experience a hike or event as an anniversary celebration for a week or more - possibly considering visiting/hiking to Machu Picchu?

We have contact with a host willing to host us in a non simultaneous house exchange in Corduba, hence why we are basing our stay there. Nothing booked. No fixed plan or itinerary as yet.

Love any advise, tips, ideas, personal experience offers of hospitality, must see, itinerary suggestions or other.

- sabretoothedchickenstour :)

wanderlust

Sep 22, 2022
Do you mean the Machu Picchu in Peru? I visited Machu Picchu in 2019. I didn't hike but here is what I did. I believe you have to book a tour to go to Machu Picchu, you can't just turn up on your own. I pre-booked the trip. It included the train ride and the guide since you can only go in the ruins with the guide.

It also included a night stay in Aguas Calientes in a nice hotel and a dinner on that evening. I took the train from Cusco to Aguas Calientes. It's a scenic train with glass ceilings and takes a couple of hours from Cusco. Once we arrived in Cusco we had the afternoon to go to bird watching down the old train tracks. That night we had a nice meal out in town that was included with our package. The guide also had dinner with us as that was also included.

Machu Picchu is very organized down to the minute . Your ticket also includes a bus ride up the mountain with a specific time slot for you to visit the ruins . You have a couple of hours inside and then the bus takes you down you have the afternoon free and then return back to Cusco on a train.

The guide accompanies you around Machu Picchu and explains the history of the ruins . Like I said it is a highly organized and although it is busy it works very smoothly.

I was already in Cusco because I had done a bird watching trip in the Amazon which started and ended there. If you are going to Machu Picchu from Peru I think you have to get to Aguas calientes from Cusco.

Like I said I didn't hike and I don't know what the protocol is for that. I think there were several choices depending on how far you wanted to walk in which case you would start at different places along the trail.

Where, in Córdoba will you be staying?