Overseas volunteer opportunities

728*90

JT_

Nov 2, 2022
Hello, I've done some basic research on overseas volunteer opportunities for travelers, and what's out there seems like a mixed bag / hit-and-miss. I am wanting to participate in something that leans more toward Philanthropy rather than memorable experiences for travelers. Something like Humanitarian field work or disaster relief should the occasion arise. (I have been a Red Cross volunteer in the past but it turned out not to be up my alley. Something a little more grassroots perhaps??) Thnx for any tips, suggestions, links or info.
Sincerely, FatMax

Newdawn2001

Jan 5, 2023
We are an Australian family of 5 that loves travel and volunteering - "sabretoothedchickenstour". We try to incorporate volunteering into every trip we take. There is a lot of voluntourism around and personally I would not pay large sums to volunteer (as it often does more harm than good) but I would consider donating after the fact or contributing towards food or accommodation once there. We prefer to give service. I recommend following your interests and seeking opportunities through established organisations e.g. churches, youth movements like scouts, health organisations etc. locally before heading overseas or even better getting to your destination and seeking an opportunity to volunteer as you travel as you are unlikely to gain a knowledge of small grassroots organisations unless you are in their region.

Our experience is that you need to get on the ground of the place you are traveling and then explore and listen. You need to meet with small grassroots organisations or contact them and outline what you can offer them.

So you need to have time and stay flexible in what you are willing to do and be willing to incur some expense as well as give some service or labour for free. As always it is a negotiation and you need to communicate clearly and write down if possible some clear conditions so that both you and the grassroots initiative you are helping benefit.

Example: Earlier this year, my adult son and I thought it might be fun to help a small locally owned cooking school in southern Thailand where we were on a months holiday, we emailed several cooking schools in the region (in the direction our travels were heading) offering to help with English education or website content or actually helping with food prep. One replied and we ended up working with her two hours per day on her website for 1 week. She gave us a space to sleep and one meal a day. We travelled there and it was a win win for the small sole trader business and us. She was overjoyed at the work we did and we enjoyed our stay plus learnt a lot about her business and the area.

Hope that helps and best of luck

Reactions: armchairtraveler

Denice

Feb 2, 2023
Hi,

I would welcome any advice on voulnteering in Thailand. I understand I need a visa to do this but I want to help out at animal rescues i,e dogs and I dont want to be tied to rigid dates as the visa application asks for. Am I better off just travelling and applying as I go as Newdawn 2001? I don't want to pay vast amounts of money with organisations and find when I get there that it is not for me.

Thanks in advance
Denice

Sampath Perera

May 31, 2023
Hi All,

Makini Bush Camp in Sri Lanka is actively seeking enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers to join our team for a 3-12 month on-site resident program. Whether you are an individual or a small team of 1-7 members, this is a fantastic opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to the areas of nature, wildlife, conservation, sustainability, and camp management. As a volunteer, you will have the chance to gain hands-on experience, make a positive impact, and be part of our vibrant community. Join us on this rewarding journey and help us create a meaningful difference in the magnificent world of wilderness.

Please find more details in the attached brochure.

Thank you,
Sampath Perera

Attachments

• Internship _ Volunteer Program.pdf
    277.1 KB · Views: 2

Denice

Feb 2, 2023
Hi All,

Makini Bush Camp in Sri Lanka is actively seeking enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers to join our team for a 3-12 month on-site resident program. Whether you are an individual or a small team of 1-7 members, this is a fantastic opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to the areas of nature, wildlife, conservation, sustainability, and camp management. As a volunteer, you will have the chance to gain hands-on experience, make a positive impact, and be part of our vibrant community. Join us on this rewarding journey and help us create a meaningful difference in the magnificent world of wilderness.

Please find more details in the attached brochure.

Thank you,
Sampath Perera
Thanks for this Sampath

Ricks1980

Mar 6, 2023
Hi,

I would welcome any advice on voulnteering in Thailand. I understand I need a visa to do this but I want to help out at animal rescues i,e dogs and I dont want to be tied to rigid dates as the visa application asks for. Am I better off just travelling and applying as I go as Newdawn 2001? I don't want to pay vast amounts of money with organisations and find when I get there that it is not for me.

Thanks in advance
Denice
Hi Denice, There is good Bangkok community help org. that was started by 2 business owners at the start of COVID to help poor people survive through the COVID period and are still active now. See https://bangkokcommunityhelp.com/

Rick S.

abdullahhhh01013

Aug 8, 2023
Hello, I've done some basic research on overseas volunteer opportunities for travelers, and what's out there seems like a mixed bag / hit-and-miss. I am wanting to participate in something that leans more toward Philanthropy rather than memorable experiences for travelers. Something like Humanitarian field work or disaster relief should the occasion arise. (I have been a Red Cross volunteer in the past but it turned out not to be up my alley. Something a little more grassroots perhaps??) Thnx for any tips, suggestions, links or info.
Sincerely, FatMax
Hi there,

It's great to hear that you're interested in participating in philanthropic volunteer opportunities that focus on humanitarian field work or disaster relief. It's important to find a program that aligns with your values and goals. Here are a few suggestions and tips to help you in your search:

Research Organizations: Look for organizations that specialize in humanitarian work and have a grassroots approach. Research their missions, values, and projects to ensure they match what you're looking for.

Local NGOs: Consider local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in the regions you're interested in. They often have a more direct impact on communities and may provide hands-on opportunities.

Volunteer Platforms: Explore websites or platforms that connect volunteers with meaningful opportunities. Websites like Idealist, VolunteerMatch, and GoAbroad can help you find philanthropic projects worldwide.

Contact Local Embassies: Reach out to embassies or consulates of the countries you're interested in volunteering in. They may have information about local organizations seeking volunteers.

Network: Attend humanitarian and philanthropic events, conferences, or workshops to connect with like-minded individuals and organizations.

Read Reviews: Look for reviews and testimonials from past volunteers to get insights into the impact and authenticity of the programs.

Direct Contact: Once you find potential organizations, reach out to them directly. Ask about their projects, volunteer roles, expectations, and how your skills can contribute.

Check Safety: Given the nature of disaster relief work, ensure that the organization prioritizes safety measures for volunteers.

Evaluate Costs: While many philanthropic opportunities are unpaid, some programs may have associated costs. Be sure to understand the financial aspects before committing.

Cultural Sensitivity: Keep in mind that you'll be working in different cultural contexts, so it's important to approach volunteering with sensitivity and respect.

Remember, finding the right opportunity may take some time and effort, but it's worth it to make a meaningful impact. Best of luck in your search and your philanthropic endeavors!

Warm regards,

Newdawn2001

Jan 5, 2023
If you want grassroots. It is usually best to find these volunteer opportunities once you get to your destination. Physically walk the town, talk to locals, talk to information outlets, talk to community leaders or local charities. The first step in helping any organisation or individual is to listen and gain a true understanding of what help is needed then pair that to the skills and knowledge you have. Once you have found a grassroots organisations or cause then find out who is the decision maker and present your proposal. The best volunteering is one that is a win win for both parties. If you do not gain knowledge, friendship and skills in the process then it is likely your efforts are not making an impact.

Be very careful of voluntourism or funding systems that actually cause more harm than good. Do not seek to be the hero or the saviour. Realise that there is a bigger picture and you are a very tiny part of it.

Our family seeks to volunteer wherever possible during our travels and it has brought us much joy.

Hope that helps.

abdullahhhh01013

Aug 8, 2023
Sincerely, FatMax
Hey there!

Your intention to delve deeper into impactful volunteer opportunities is truly commendable. I completely get the need to participate in something that makes tangible differences rather than just ticking off a travel experience.

From my own experience and connections, I can suggest a couple of avenues:

Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières): They're a medical humanitarian organization that offers help to people based on need, regardless of race, religion, or political affiliation. Even if you're not a medical professional, they have non-medical roles available too.

Peace Corps: This is a long-term commitment, often lasting two years, but the work is grassroots, impactful, and sustainable.

Workaway or WWOOF: While these platforms cater to a broad range of opportunities, you can specifically look for projects that align with your philanthropic intentions. Many grassroots organizations post their requirements here.

Local NGOs: Sometimes, the most impactful work isn't done by the big names but by local NGOs on the ground. They might not have the best online presence, so I'd recommend reaching out to communities or local leaders in the area you're interested in.

Grassroots Volunteering: This platform curates volunteer opportunities that focus on local impact and empowerment. It's a great starting point to find grassroots organizations that align with your mission.

Remember, the key to meaningful volunteer work is ensuring that the work you do is sustainable, ethical, and truly beneficial to the communities. It's essential to assess any organization's intentions, impact, and feedback from past volunteers before committing.

I hope you find the path that aligns best with your goals! Best of luck, and kudos for seeking to make a genuine difference.

Warm regards,
Ahmad 🌍🤝🌱

abdullahhhh01013

Aug 8, 2023
Hi FatMax! 👋

First off, kudos to you for wanting to give back. There are indeed many volunteer opportunities out there, but it's crucial to find the right fit, especially if you're more into genuine philanthropy.

Doctors Without Borders - They often require medical professionals, but they also have roles for logistics and administrative personnel.

Peace Corps - They offer volunteer opportunities in different parts of the world, working on everything from education to community economic development.

All Hands and Hearts - They offer 'smart response' to disasters, which means they stick around long after the immediate disaster has passed to help communities rebuild and recover. It's pretty grassroots and hands-on.

Grassroot Volunteering - This platform connects travelers to grassroots initiatives around the world. It's a good starting point to find smaller organizations that might not be as widely advertised.

Workaway or WWOOF - These platforms connect travelers with hosts who provide accommodation and food in exchange for a few hours of work a day. While many hosts are looking for help with their businesses or farms, there are some that are more oriented toward community service or environmental projects.

Local NGOs - If there's a specific country or region you're interested in, consider reaching out to local NGOs directly. They might not have flashy websites or international recognition, but your impact there could be significant.

Lastly, always do a deep dive and maybe even visit the place first to understand the kind of work they do and the impact they have on communities. This ensures that your efforts align with your philanthropic goals.

Hope this helps and all the best on your journey to make a difference! 🌍

Warm regards,
Asif

rayosx

Feb 6, 2023
wow...great info here and something to ponder while recuperating from surgery and venturing out in the world again!
Thanks all!