RE: Teaching English in Vietnam

728*90

TroubleInParadise

Jan 30, 2023
Hi there,

I'm a bachelor's degree graduate with a TEFL certificate, and a background in content writing, looking to switch things up.

I'm from South Africa, and am looking to find teaching work in Vietnam...

But I need a lil' bit of info. about how it all works.

I know (typically) travellers would head down with a tourist VISA (which I know is available for 30 days with a travel agent), and then apply for schools when in country.

However, is there a way to get a work VISA before-the-fact?

Granted I don't have teaching experience, as a writer, I do have good command of the English language.

Any and all advice and insights would be greatly yours.

Sincerely.

J.

Sep 22, 2022
I haven't taught English in Vietnam but spent a couple of months there travelling around. My advice is to start getting experience now by teaching online. Cambly is a good place to start as almost anyone can get accepted there.

I would also think if you want to teach kids or adults. If you decide to teach adults I would recommend learning about the IELTS English exam. It is for people looking to move abroad or study at university overseas. There is a free course you can do that will help with your employment prospects.

If you go to Dave's ESL site you can find job opportunities. Personally, I would save some money and look for work when I got there. The more experience you can get before you go will help to get a better paid job rather than just having to accept anything.

Larsay

Dec 7, 2023
NO work visa without a work permit and no work permit without a contract from the school. Many foreigners enter the country on a tourist visa and then look for a school which accepts to give them a contract, but, for that, an excellent practice of read/write/talk is quite necessary. If not, you can find schools which will take you without a contract, but you have to renew your tourist visa every 2 weeks (or get 45-day visa exemptions, but, for that, you have to get out of the country each time