Welcome to the Thorntree Travel Forum
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join for free

Seeking Advice on Hiking the Camino Trail with MS - Any Insights?

728*90

LuxuryJoe

Oct 23, 2023
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm contacting this wonderful community today with a question about hiking the Camino Trail. My stepmother is a 60-year-old woman who has been living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) for several years and has always dreamed of embarking on this incredible journey. I hope to gather insights and advice from those who may have experience hiking the Camino or managing physical challenges during similar adventures.

I've heard that the Camino Trail is a remarkable spiritual and physical experience, and I'm determined to make it happen. But I'm aware that living with MS poses unique challenges. So, if you have any experience, insights, or advice to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are some questions I have in mind:

1. Has anyone with MS hiked the Camino Trail or embarked on a similar long-distance hike? If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

2. What were the most significant challenges you faced while hiking with MS? How did you overcome them or adapt your plans?

3. Are there specific preparations or precautions that I should consider in anticipation of this journey?

4. Do you have any tips for managing fatigue and mobility issues during a long hike, especially with a condition like MS?

5. How did you ensure your safety and well-being while on the trail, and did you have a support system?

6. What advice would you give to someone like me who's determined to make this dream come true despite the challenges?

I understand that everyone's experience is unique, but sharing your stories and insights can be incredibly helpful as she plans her own pilgrimage. I'm eager to hear from those who have been through similar adventures and appreciate any wisdom you can provide.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge. Your input will undoubtedly make a significant difference in her journey, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

We wish you all a wonderful day!

Warm regards,

LJ

wanderlust

Sep 22, 2022
I had a friend do this about five months ago with cancer. I know she said that people take it for various reasons. My son in law was diagnosed with MS this last year. I know there are many types. His wife, my daughter, has to use a wheelchair already for any length of walking. I do have a close friend whose mom has had MS for 35 years and only has had to use a walker for the past two years. Sounds your mom in law is still doing fairly well. I hope she gets to have her dream.

I will see what further information I can get for you.

Sep 22, 2022
I suggest walking the Camino Frances and hiring an agency that would be on ‘standby’ so to speak—a driver—who would be able to relieve your step-mother of pain or the difficulty of the trail, and drive you to your accommodation. Depending on her mobility or other issues, there might be days when you skip walking a particular portion of the Way. There are so many charming towns, villages, cities along the Way and she would still be able to experience all the joys and the vibe of a Camino without the daily physical demand.

I say this as in 2019 I walked the Camino Frances with a 92 yr old woman who had, the year before her dream of walking the Camino, major surgery (metal rods) in her feet and toes. She literally had to re-learn how to walk, but walk she did to the best of her ability, with the help of taxis when needed and pre- booked accommodations. There was a group of us that were so inspired by her determination we walked with her through the days and weeks and reached Santiago hand in hand as a support group of friends who loved her and her dream.

The Camino ‘will provide’ —you’ll find amazing support but it’s important that your step-Mom train with walks and find the proper footwear and hiking poles and ascertain the distance she’ll be capable of walking each day. That will make it easier for you to tailor your accommodations.
What an amazing life-affirming experience this will be!