Shikoku pilgrimage questions

728*90

Asparagus

Aug 8, 2023
Hey, just seeing if anyone here has hiked the Shikoku 88-temple pilgrimage recently. I have 2 questions that both relate to packing. One is, I wondered if there is anywhere near the start of the trail (Temple 1) to store the belongings that we don't want to carry. We're not doing the whole route -- just 10 days (as many temples as we can reasonably fit in). So it's not 3-month storage, just 10-day storage. But even so, I haven't found anything, even by directly contacting nearby hotels. What do most people who are doing other things in Japan on their trip (and presumably need/want other clothing choices) do with their stuff while they're hiking the trail?

And then in terms of what to take, we're headed there in late October, so the temperatures will swing from 8 or 9 degrees C up to 23, with a mix of sun and rain. I'm having trouble deciding what to pack in order to be prepared for all temperatures and conditions while also carrying very little. Any suggestions? Like should "pants" be leggings (for women), or light cotton pants, or waterproof hiking pants, etc. Just wondering what has worked best for people who've done it.

Sep 22, 2022
I haven't done the pilgrimage, but I did live in Japan for around 10 years. Many places have coin lockers that you can keep stuff in. However, they might have a maximum number of days before the locker gets cleared.

Also many Japanese do not carry luggage around but send it ahead to their destination. So there are many services that cater for this, such as: Takuhaibin (宅配便) : https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html