Welcome to the Thorntree Travel Forum
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join for free

Taxi in Angola

728*90
Sep 22, 2022
Are you living in Angola? Please share more information about the country. What's it like traveling there? Is it safe? What is good to see and do?

Sinomada

Sep 13, 2023
Hi everyone!
We are going to go to Luanda with some friends. We plan to see a lot of things, so we need a way to get around.

Please recommend a good taxi or hire car.
A friend recommended a taxi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=espaes.angola.taxi.passenger
Hello, I've been to Luanda several times. There are various taxi companies you can call by phone. Just ask in your hotel or a friendly local. There is no Uber but there are several similar ride hailing apps, like Heetch. So get a local sim card and download the app.
It's also common that people will offer rides in their private cars and take several people going roughly in the same direction. Or you could try the Candongueiros, blue and white minivans you will see on many street corners, that provide "public" transport around Luanda. But ask first where you need to catch the candongueiro that goes where you want to go. You may have to change in places and take more than one.
You can also hire cars, but I have never done so, so can't help you out with that.
I did get a ride from the side of the road with one of those private car "taxis" once and then the driver became our regular driver and took us everywhere. So negotiate when you find someone that might be happy to drive you around.
Good luck and enjoy Luanda!