The best carryon luggage recommended by flight attendants

728*90
Sep 22, 2022
She recommends the American Tourister for quality four-wheelers. Founded in 1933, the brand is considered the more affordable option in the Samsonite luggage stable – and these bags don’t weigh a tonne.

“A lot of the crew use them, and you also see a lot of the customers with them,” says Sarah.

Luxury travel ‘designer’ Drew Kluska, founder of The Tailor, agrees. If he’s taking a wheelie, he’ll opt for the lightweight American Tourister Airconic (55cm, 2kg).

If he’s travelling even lighter, Kluska – who favours efficiency – will simply take his Swissgear 5709 ScanSmart Laptop Backpack in black (1.4kg).

Reactions: JT_

Mrunal Mehta

Mar 17, 2023
Flight attendants typically recommend lightweight, durable, and easy-to-maneuver carry-on luggage. Here are some of the most durable carry-on luggage options recommended by flight attendants:

1. Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner: This suitcase is made of lightweight yet durable polycarbonate material and features 360-degree spinner wheels for easy maneuverability. It also has a TSA-approved lock and comes in a variety of sizes and colors.
  2. Travelpro Maxlite 5 Lightweight Carry-on Spinner: This carry-on suitcase is made of lightweight polyester fabric and features spinner wheels for easy rolling. It also has a water-resistant coating and a lifetime warranty.
  3. Delsey Paris Chatelet Hard+ Hardside Spinner: This suitcase is made of polycarbonate and features a distinctive French design. It also has a built-in TSA-approved lock and comes with a limited 10-year warranty.
  4. Tumi Alpha 3 Continental Expandable 4-Wheeled Carry-On: This suitcase is made of durable ballistic nylon material and features four spinner wheels and a telescoping handle. It also has a built-in USB port for charging devices and comes with a five-year warranty.
  5. Briggs & Riley Baseline Domestic Carry-On Expandable Spinner: This suitcase is made of durable ballistic nylon material and features four spinner wheels and a telescoping handle. It also has a lifetime warranty that includes repair or replacement for damage caused by airline handling.
The most suitable carry-on luggage for you depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, these options are all highly rated by flight attendants and known for their durability and ease of use.

Newdawn2001

Jan 5, 2023
Definitely not a suitcase but a light backpack is the way to go and travel with under 7kg. Soft bags squeeze more easily into spaces are easier to carry and it's not just about the plane, it's about walking, hiking, getting on buses, cobblestones, accepting an offer to go somewhere in a private car. You need to be flexible. Small easy light luggage allows you to focus on your travels rather than on your stuff.

Skibadly

Jun 7, 2023
Definitely not a suitcase but a light backpack is the way to go and travel with under 7kg. Soft bags squeeze more easily into spaces are easier to carry and it's not just about the plane, it's about walking, hiking, getting on buses, cobblestones, accepting an offer to go somewhere in a private car. You need to be flexible. Small easy light luggage allows you to focus on your travels rather than on your stuff.
I definitely would have agreed with that in my 20s. I think the issue is that as people get older, they are not as comfortable with walking with the weight on their back. I travelled with a 100ltr backpack weighing over 20kg, which I would certainly not do now in my 60s. Partly as I no longer feel the need to carry my full kilt with me either, lol.
I would go with a combination. Small backpack with a weight limit you are comfortable with and a small, light 2 wheeler case that fits all airline carryon limits.
But I am new here and am very interested in others' opinions as I have not backpacked for some years although looking to go to India/Asia in a couple of months.

Reactions: Newdawn2001

Newdawn2001

Jan 5, 2023
I definitely would have agreed with that in my 20s. I think the issue is that as people get older, they are not as comfortable with walking with the weight on their back. I travelled with a 100ltr backpack weighing over 20kg, which I would certainly not do now in my 60s. Partly as I no longer feel the need to carry my full kilt with me either, lol.
I would go with a combination. Small backpack with a weight limit you are comfortable with and a small, light 2 wheeler case that fits all airline carryon limits.
But I am new here and am very interested in others' opinions as I have not backpacked for some years although looking to go to India/Asia in a couple of months.
Everyone has to choose what they feel comfortable taking when it comes to luggage. It is your journey, no one elses.

But I am not young and have travelled with my Mum who is 84. Less is truely more. She has travelled with a light backpack and would not have coped with a suitcase in tow as well.

A light backpack with under 7kg in it is still the ideal in my opinion, unless of course, there is a health issue which prevents you carrying anything. It is more balanced than having to carry a small suitcase. Age is no barrier but heavy or cumbersome luggage is the enemy of adventure. Having two hands free is an asset, even if it is to use those hands to hold onto railings or a guiding hand...

I will still be backpacking at 80. Watch me :)

Reactions: Skibadly

Windy

Jun 24, 2023
I have a TravelPro MaxLite spinner (might be a 4). It's almost 7 years old and has been all over the world and shows no signs of wear. I rarely check it, because it's a regulation rollaboard, and airline crews use them. Weighs very little by itself, and the handles are great for hoisting up on a shelf on a train or hauling up a flight of stairs on the NYC subway.

My personal item is an eBags Weekender Junior, a brilliantly designed backpack with lots of deep pockets. Fits under the seat, both it and the TravelPro are expandable by an inch or two. Comes with a lifetime warranty; I had a minor issue with a zipper and they sent me a new one. Weighs almost nothing by itself You could travel with just it for a week. I also appreciate the placement of the laptop pocket, far from where a casual thief could get it.

Latest addition is a bunch of inexpensive compression cubes. I've had packing cubes and folders, but these really do an amazing job of saving space. I'll find out when I unpack Monday night if my clothes are permanently wrinkled.

Reactions: Skibadly

K Sowjanya

Jan 9, 2024
Sturdy and Lightweight:
Select baggage composed of lightweight, yet durable materials such as polycarbonate or ballistic nylon.

Wheel Spinners:
For convenient mobility, choose luggage with four wheels.

Size Adherence:
Make sure the size of your carry-on fits the airline's guidelines.

Features of Organization:
Seek out pockets and compartments to keep things neat.

Sturdiness of Handles and Zippers:
Choose baggage with robust handles and zippers.

Adaptable Architecture:
For more space, choose for luggage that can be expanded.

Flexible Design:
When it comes to luggage, some flight attendants have a preference for expandable models that provide more storage space as needed.